I have been so busy this week work and I have to admit I love it, I love that feeling of having some sort of purpose but it seems like I can only do one thing at a time and I have really been neglecting my home life and my social life. Also I am so tired by the time I get home that I have been going to bed at around ten. I have always been a night owl, going to bed at let’s say 5 am is nothing new to me, I find it easier to work during the night, less distractions and all that but now I cannot wait to crawl into bed!
So lately in my beadwork I have been more and more into tightening my colour palette and not using every single bead I possess in every piece. I know I tend to get a little bit overboard with my bead usage. So I set out to only use three colours with this bracelet: red, gold and black. Also for backing I used black Ultrasuede tacked onto Lacy’s stiff stuff.
I really liked the way that the hex cut beads looked in my last bracelet and since I have a huge package of those I decided to use those beads as the main body of my piece.
As always I started with my bezel and then moved on to the wing portion, which I had already mapped out on my backing. In order to get the piece as symmetrical as possible I did one side first and then moved on to the other so I could make everything match. So the number of beaded lined on each side is the same.
I was really happy with how things were looking after the first couple of black rows but I wondered if the piece would look very flat by using only black. So I decided to incorporate different types of stones in the same colour palette. Luckily I had just enough red fire polished beads to finish this bracelet off .so I decided to use them to separate the black sections.
I also didn’t want to use any other cabs but then I decided I needed to. The red cabs that I used are Mexican opals in dragon breath. I loved the colours of these. They are a nice red but in a certain light they look somewhat blue but when I glued them on my backing, which was black, they completely lost their appeal. But since I didn’t have any other cab that would have worked I decided to draw around the cab and cut the Ultrasuede up so that I could glue these cabs on to the Lacy’s stiff stuff. Once the cabs were glued onto a white background they got their blue tint back. I am just glad that the whole thing worked otherwise I would have had to undo all the work and start all over again.
I kind of only noticed the red lights on the model’s face when I was done with the piece, it kind of looked like the red cab underneath it was the cause of all the red lights on her face and I really liked that.
Once the body was done I decided to not add any decorative edge as I thought the piece looked fine as it was and the good thing with a decorative edge is that it can be added whenever, so if at a later time I think it needs it I can go back and do that without any problems. To finish off I added a gold clasp to the bracelet and it was all done.
- List of Materials Used:
- 5mm MEXICAN OPALS IN DRAGON BREATH
- 4mm RUBY FIRE POLISHED GLASS BEADS
- 2.5mm RUBY FIRE POLISHED GLASS BEADS
- BLACK HEX 2-CUT BEADS
- TRANSPARENT DARK RED SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- SILVER LINED MAHOGANY SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- GOLD METAL SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- OPAQUE BLACK SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- SILVER LINED MATTE DARK RUBY SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- SILVER LINED DARK PINK SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- GOLD COLOURED METAL SEED BEADS SIZE 15/0
- SILVER LINED GARNET SEED BEADS SIZE 15/0
- FIRELINE THREAD 0.006” IN SMOKE GREY
- LACY’S STIFF STUFF
- BLACK ULTRASUEDE
- E-6000 GLUE
- CRAFTER’S PICK THE ULTIMATE GLUE
Posted by Mana © BeadFeast. All Rights Reserved