Now that I am looking back at the pieces I have been making this past few months and writing about them in detail, I am amazed to see that I have chosen one artists work more than any other to do beading around and that artist is Natalie Shau.When I choose the image for my focal piece I don’t pay any attention to whose work I am necessarily choosing, I go by the gut feeling of maybe the image can inspire my beading,
The works of Natalie Shau I have done beading around have all been different from each other but I am guessing that the underlying feeling of the pieces is something I am inherently drawn to and that’s why I have probably done 6-7 pieces around her paintings.
The image in this brooch comes from an album art she has done for “the cradle of filth”. I couldn’t find a title for this painting anywhere but the woman in the painting looks very medusa like even though the hair is not made of snakes, but I guess that’s what it reminds me of.
For the beading part of this piece I wanted to go with something grand, something that resembled royal crown jewels to be more specific. The image is so disturbing that putting it in a classy jewel setting was odd enough for me to be interesting.
I looked at a lot of crown jewels and simplified some of the patterns that were used in them and came up with some designs. I was settled on a design that most resembled a lotus flower shape and I drew it on my backing and started to fill it out. I used mostly the lazy stitch to cover the piece (because of the small spaces and the odd angles I had to fill out) except for where I was sewing definite bead lines where I used the trusty two-bead backstitch.
Once the edges were cleaned up, in order to make the design more reminiscent of crown jewel-like designs I used some crystals and fringe beads to act as accent drops from the points I had created in the shape to complete the look.
LIST OF MATERIALS USED:
- 35MM CLEAR GLASS DOME CABOCHON
- 3.4 GARNET GOLD LUSTER FRINGE BEADS
- 3MM SWAROVSKI BICONES IN CRYSTAL RED MAGMA
- 5MM SWAROVSKI BICONES IN SIAM
- 4MM SIAM RUBY FIRE POLISHED GLASS BEADS
- BRIGHT APRICOT PERMANENT GALVANIZED SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- METALLIC BURGUNDY BROWN SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- TRANSPARENT VIOLET RED GOLD LUSTER SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- GOLD COLOURED METAL ROUND SEED BEADS SIZE 15/0
- METALLIC BURGUNDY BROWN SEEDE BEADS SIZE 15/0
- METALLIC LIGHT BRONZE SEED BEADS SIZE 15/0
- WINE COLOURED DELICA BEADS SIZE 11/0
- FIRELINE THREAD 0.006” IN SMOKE GREY
- LACY’S STIFF STUFF
- BLACK ULTRASUEDE
- 1.5 INCH BASE METAL PIN BACK
- E-6000 GLUE
Posted by Mana © BeadFeast. All Rights Reserved