I had wanted to something with a more romantic feel for a little while. most of my bead stash consists of darker colours and I am slowly adding to the variety so it took me a while to get enough pale/ pastel-tone beads together to get a romantic feeling piece done.
I looked through all the images I had gathered and I decided to use a painting by Mary Jane Ansell, a Brighton based portrait artist .she does amazing portraits, very expressive, the colours are very subtle so it was perfect for what I had in mind. This painting is called “girl with roses”.
The beads I chose matched the colours in the painting perfectly, maybe a little too perfectly. The thing is, the colours in the painting are very subdued and pale so using pale beads did nothing to really bring the painting forward in my opinion, but even seeing this I didn’t know what to do and how to make things better. I just kept going.
In an attempt to bring some colour to the piece I added some AB crystals around the piece. Also since I make a lot of brooches I decided to get these new pin backs with bails so the brooch can also be used as necklaces.
The thing is I am not in anyway shape or form at ease with using these sorts of colours so maybe I am just being too picky, but I have to be honest, this is not one of my favorite pieces. I would love to know to know what you guys think! What would you have done differently?
LIST OF MATERIALS USED:
- 35MM CLEAR GLASS DOME CABOCHON
- 6MM PINK/AMETHYST MIX GLASS FROM THE BEAD GALLERY
- 4MM FACETED ROUND VITRAIL FIRE POLISHED GLASS BEADS
- 3MM BLACK DIAMOND AB ROUND CZECH PRESSED GLASS BEAD
- 3MM SMOKY TOPAZ AB ROUND CZECH PRESSED GLASS BEAD
- 5x14MM ANTIQUE SILVER PLATED PEWTER SMALL ANGEL WINGS
- SMOKEY AMETHYST AB SEED BEADS SIZE 11/0
- DYED SMOKEY OPAL ALABASTER SEED BEAD SIZE 11/0
- METALLIC VIOLET SEED BEADS SIZE 15/0
- 1.25” PIN BACK WITH BAIL
- LACY’S STIFF STUFF
- GREY ULTRASUEDE
- FIRELINE THREAD 0.006 IN CLEAR